1 tinged with sadness; "a movie with a bittersweet ending"
2 having a taste that is a mixture of bitterness and sweetness [syn: semisweet]
1 poisonous perennial Old World vine having violet flowers and oval coral-red berries; widespread weed in North America [syn: bittersweet nightshade, climbing nightshade, deadly nightshade, poisonous nightshade, woody nightshade, Solanum dulcamara]
2 twining shrub of North America having three-valved yellow capsules enclosing scarlet seeds [syn: American bittersweet, climbing bittersweet, false bittersweet, staff vine, waxwork, Celastrus scandens]
expressing contrasting emotions of pain and pleasure
the bittersweet nightshade, Solanum dulcamara
- Finnish: punakoiso
Bittersweet refers to a combination of the standard tastes of sweetness and bitterness, and is often used as a metaphor for experiences which have elements of both happiness and sadness.
The term may also refer to:
- , an electronic band.
A number of songs and albums:
- Bittersweet (Apocalyptica song), a song by the band Apocalyptica, The Rasmus and HIM
- Bittersweet (Fuel song), a song by the band Fuel
- "Bittersweet", a hit song by Big Head Todd & the Monsters
- Bittersweet (Hoodoo Gurus song), a 1985 song by Australian rock group Hoodoo Gurus from their album Mars Needs Guitars!
- Bittersweet Me, a song and single by the rock band R.E.M.
- Bitter Sweet Symphony, a song by The Verve
- Bittersweet (album), an album by Blu Cantrell
- Bittersweet Symphony (album), an album by Jade Valerie.
- "Bittersweet", a song by Kanye West
- Bittersweet World, an album by Ashlee Simpson
- Bitter Suite, a single from Stoke-On-Trent band Friends Of Ken